[Buddha-l] HHDL's current visit to Taiwan

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Tue Sep 1 21:23:29 MDT 2009

Hsi Yung is a supporter of the One China policy. That tells me all I
need to know.

After his last visit to Taiwan in 2001, HHDL was very impressed with the
enthusiastic welcome he had received and announced his intention to
visit Taiwan every other year. He was especially interested in making it
clear that there should be no hostility between Tibetan and Chinese
people. However the PRC was able to cow the Taiwanese government into
not allowing the Dalai Lama to return since then.

To say that His Holiness should not have come "this time" is to say that
he should not come at all. It would be like saying that Rosa Parks
should have waited until a better time. All good Buddhists know there
there is never a better time - there is only now.

Curt