[Buddha-l] bodhi

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 27 12:28:15 MST 2009

Chris,

> In "Kindly Bent to Ease Us" H.V. Guenther translated bodhi (Tib. byang
> chub) as "luminous clarity and consummate perspicacity" - apparently
> based on an explanation of the term by Longchenpa the author of the text
> he was translating.
>
> A real mouthful in English for two syllables of Sanskrit or Tibetan.

Longchenpa is following a long tradition, though I'm not sure he anticipated
Guenther's penchant for bloated equivalents. Joy has started to provide some
of the Pali references to the luminous mind. There are many more. I don't
have my "Guenther jargon lexicon" on hand, but seem to remember that
"perspicacity" was how he was inclined to treat prajna and mati. I won't try
to guess further...

Richard told us half the story of the Theravada trajectory, in which the
Kathaavatthu decides on a "negative" view of awakening (it is the *absence*
of defilements). The story for Theravadins continued, however, and did a
flip-flop when Buddhaghosa (whose name means he woke up because someone was
shouting; buddha + ghosa [shout, announce, howl, wail]) in the Visuddhimagga
decided that this negative understanding was too negative, and so awakening
required positive content as well. Ergo, one positively knows the 4 Noble
Truths, and a bunch of other stuff in the Theravadin handbook of things to
know when one is awakened [by shouting].

Dan