[Buddha-l] bodhi

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Fri Nov 27 09:11:40 MST 2009

Dan Lusthaus schreef:
> Eric, one minor point:
>

>> What are the connotations? Light comes from above, awakening is
>> something that you do youself.
>>

> As I mentioned, the dominant model for how perception works in India (but
> actually found throughout the ancient and medieval world, until disproved at
> the end of the middle ages) held that the light *within* shone out through
> your eyes, illuminating objects, which were then visible, i.e., seen.that

I disagree. There are explanations for the fact that we don't see much
unless we look at something, but there is absolutely no evidence to
suppose that people experienced light differently from how we do. On the
contrary: Greek scientists calculated the diameter of the earth and the
distance of the sun by measuring shadows made by sunlight.
> Merleau-Ponty, in his critique of that model and its modern derivatives
> (e.g., constructivists who think intentionality *only* flows outward from
> the perceiver, and not also from the perceptual field toward the perceiver),
> called that the "beacon model".

MP never wrote that light radiates outward from the eye. I fact he
accepts scientific models as such.
> Chinese Buddhist (and Daoist) literature tout a slogan: "Turn back the
> light". I.e., instead of scattering your light outward, turn it inward,
> introspect. One finds that slogan, by the way, repeated in Linji (Rinzai),
> Dogen, and countless other "classics" (it was also the title of Buswell's
> abridged treatment of Chinul). Worth keeping that in mind when working with
> the "luminous mirror" metaphors in Buddhist texts.
>
> So the light model does not conform to transcendent other-power paradigm
> both you and Artur are wary of.

Creative interpretation, you 're ripe for Oprah.

erik