[Buddha-l] bodhi

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Tue Nov 24 20:35:26 MST 2009

OK - this is really getting out of hand. Both "awakening" and
"enlightenment" are highly dualistic metaphors with nearly identical
semantic ranges in the English language.  And both are used as terms for
historical periods. What exactly is it that is getting people so worked up?

To move from a state of being asleep to one of being awake seems, to me,
neither more nor less imperialistic than moving from a state of being in
the dark to being in the presence of light.

Curt