[Buddha-l] Why Ajahn Brahmavamso was excluded from the Wat Pa Phong Sangha

Bankei bankei at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 17:31:08 MST 2009

I wonder if the Bhikkhuni preceptor at the ordination had the required 12
years as a Bhikkhuni as laid down by the rules in the Vinaya. If she did and
there were enough Bhikkhuni and Bhikkhu present at the ceremony then I see
it as a valid ordination.

The only problem is that the Thai hierarchy doesn't recognise the validity
of the ordaining Bhikkhuni's ordinations. However, Ajahn Brahm (allegedly)
performed the ordination procedure exactly as it is prescribed in the Pali
Vinaya. He assisted the ordination of women who were ordained by other
Theravada nuns.

 The Pali Vinaya makes no mention of:

- Thai Law

- The Mahatherasamakom

- Branch monasteries

- Ethically being bound to the Thai State or any State.

- Annual general meetings

It is interesting that a ‘forest’ monastery grouping has arisen like this.
Sounds more like a political party or a business.

I think it comes down to the question of should a monk give priority to what
is in the Vinaya or should secular rules/laws (of another country too!)
override Vinaya?

Bankei