[Buddha-l] g-d

Alex Wilding alex at chagchen.org
Fri May 29 18:48:19 MDT 2009

Hi Tim,
Sorry reply is late.
I think the reason it's "loved" is in fact bound up with the fact that it's
meaning is not on the surface.
You probably know that the four lines are said to summarize (or at least to
reference) stages in practice, and indeed in a very practical sense rather
than theoretical.
The first refers to the common preliminaries: internalization of the
teachings on precious human birth, impermanence and death, karma, suffering.
The second refers to the special preliminaries: prostrations, refuge
prayers, bodhicitta, Dorje Sempa, Mandala offerings, guru yoga.
The third refers to tantric practice "proper", from yidam generation through
to completion phase practice.
The fourth refers to mahamudra itself, to realization.
So if these things are realities for the practitioner, these lines provide a
summary, bringing it all to mind; that should put him/her/them into the best
possible frame of mind.

They can also be used as a framework for much more extensive teaching on
these things.

That's my speculation, anyway, for what it's worth.

All the best
Alex Wilding
Blog: http://dangzang.blogspot.com/