[Buddha-l] Chinese ttf fonts

Mitchell Ginsberg jinavamsa at yahoo.com
Mon May 25 22:50:09 MDT 2009

Hello to all at Buddha-L,

I found the description of Mount Baldy's roshi (Joshu Sasaki Roshi) quite familiar. Staying some (limited) time in that environment (long ago, when they were "on tour" in Connecticut, not far from New Haven), the assistant screaming from one end of the hall to the other (at the man who was seated next to me trying to stifle a cough), "Quiet in the Zendo!!!!" and the roshi's ringing his bell excitedly to have his aides come in and drag me out when I replied to his question about my koan that I didn't have a koan, and did not back up and leave when he began ringing his bell to tell me he had had enough of me  ... ah, the memories. My association at the time was that this sesshin they were organizing was a good mix between Buddhism and the kamakazi spirit.

That aside (having added that old recollection from the early 1970s), I have been trying to find a ttf file that works on a Mac (OS 10.5.7) that has the old small-seal forms of Chinese characters. I am especially searching for one in which the character for xin1 is basically a S to the right, backed by a mirror-image of the S to the left (a smooth 2), with the two parts joined in the middle, by a form like a curved V, having a tail that curls off to the right.

It'd be easier if I could insert an image here, but, that not working, here is a version of
that form:

xxxxx    xxxxx
       x    x
       x    x
xxxxx    xxxxx
x                  x
x     x    x      x
xxxxx    xxxxx
        x  x
        x  x
           xxxxx

Well, I have tried to find such a font, including looking to see if any were available
for purchase even (hehe), but have had no success. Also, any other even older form of the Chinese script in ttf form would be quite interesting to hear about !

A co-subscriber suggested that I pose this question to the group.

All information to help me in this would be appreciated. At this time, I have scanned
such an image, but it does not hold up well when enlarged at all, unlike ttf forms,
that area scalable ....

Thank you.

Mitchell G.
Visiting Scholar, Department of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, UCSD, La Jolla CA

Homepage (updated 12 May 09): http://www.jinavamsa.com

See also http://www.jinavamsa.com/mentalhealth.html