[Buddha-l] Jim Peavler's Experience

Jayarava jayarava at yahoo.com
Sun May 24 02:46:41 MDT 2009

--- On Sun, 24/5/09, Katherine Masis <twin_oceans at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --Are there any suttas or other references regarding
> Yasodhara’s opinions of the Buddha after he left the
> palace?

There is some background in the Dict. of Pāli names under Rāhulamātā:
http://www.palikanon.com/english/pali_names/r/rahulamata.htm

It would seem that Richard was caught up in his own rhetorical flow and somewhat over stated the case :-) A far better example of this would be Sariputta's mother when he returned home! Although even she came around in the end.

Most of these stories come from the commentarial tradition, or from the Jatakas which have an ambiguous historical status and frequently share material with other Indian traditions. It seems unlikely that the stories represent attitudes of the Buddha's time in other words. No doubt some people looked down on samanas because they rejected the mundane authority of kings, and frequently set themselves up as alternative authorities.

Otherwise I think Richard has nailed it. Would like to see that sentiment - perhaps sans the personal comments about Sasaki Roshi - as a blog post Richard. It deserves a wider audience.

Jayarava