[Buddha-l] Meditation-Testing the Spirits

Jackhat1 at aol.com Jackhat1 at aol.com
Wed May 13 15:12:09 MDT 2009

In a message dated 5/13/2009 1:26:54 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
jehms at xs4all.nl writes:

As meditators passively watch their own mental states come and go  without
trying to control them, these begin to fluctuate more and more rapidly  and
unpredictably.
====
Maybe but after 12-20 minutes this activity starts to slow down.
=======
After a while this chaotic activity creates the strong impression that  the
mental events are springing into life on their own, from some separate
source, rather than the observer's own mind. As meditators persist with this
practice, they also notice that there is a definite separation between the
mental events being observed and the mind that is doing the observing.
====
More likely is that they notice that the mental events being observed is
the same as the mind; there is nothing else there; no self exists.
=====
As meditation progresses still further, both the mental events and the
observing mind begin to seem alien and impersonal, as if they do not really
belong to the observer.
==
They learn to just observe mental events impersonally and neutrally not  as
alien events.
====
At about this point the meditator's sense of "self" becomes confused  and
weakened, and finally it disappears entirely for brief periods of time.  This
experience of dissolution strongly reinforces the Buddhist notion that
there actually is no such thing as an "I"
>  or "myself" - that  such concepts are actually false constructions of
the mind.

>  At still deeper levels, meditators eventually reach a stage in which
their  awareness of events and the events themselves seem inextricably bound
together  and the whole scene churns in a wild state of flux. Ideas, images
and thoughts  seem to appear and then dissolve into nothingness with great
rapidity. At this  point every aspect of mental life (and the physical world
itself) seems  impermanent, transitory and alien, and disturbed meditators
desperately want  it all to stop.
====
More likely is they learn peace. They don't want it to stop. They learn  to
let it all go. You don't have to reach nibbana to experience  equanimity.
===
Relief finally comes when meditators break through Nirvana, a state in
which all awareness of physical and mental phenomena ceases, at least for a
short time. Reaching this stage ostensibly produces permanent changes in
consciousness. Inner processes are set in motion which fill the meditator with
equanimity and bliss. These presumably destroy defiling mental states like
self-interest, ambition, greed and hatred, and ensure advanced placement in
the next life. When interpreted through
>  Eastern lenses, these  experiences strongly reinforce the Buddhist
belief that the physical universe,  our concepts of self and even our inner
mental life are only  illusions."
===
Sure they learn that our concepts of self is an illusion. They don't  learn
that their mental life is an illusion. The learn that the physical
universe is transient, ultimately unsatisfactory and selfless. This is  different
than learning the physical universe doesn't exist.

jack

**************Dell Mini Netbooks: Great deals starting at $299 after
instant savings!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221972443x1201442012/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fad.doubleclick.net%2Fclk%3B214819441%3B36680237%3Bi)