[Buddha-l] FW: beauty--or art-- (?) and the restraint of thesenses

Jayarava jayarava at yahoo.com
Wed May 13 09:14:23 MDT 2009

Hi Erik

I would see a barbarian as actively against higher culture. I merely have a limited acquaintance with it and a certain suspiciousness as to some of the claims for it - I'm working class and from a hick town in a hick country (and presently a long way from home!)

It's clear that Bush *is* an uncultured hick, but he is also a barbarian. I've met barbarians who were from cultured backgrounds as well, so maybe the semantic fields only partially overlap?

All this rasika business sounds mighty suspicious to this yokel ;-)

Jayarava

(Having a Rolf Harris renaissance thanks to spotify.com!)