[Buddha-l] Eternalism

Jayarava jayarava at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 28 12:34:46 MDT 2009

Hi Joanna

Your suggestion strikes me as plausible, but doesn't convince me that this is the history of the word. It reminds me of a Nirukta last resort etymology based on sound similarity. Is there a parallel consonant shift for example? Are there other uses of that stem?

BTW śaś-vat would be a compound. It's a form of bahuvrihi. "Leap possessing".

The metaphor does seem to be recurrence, rather than everlasting. Again and again, rather than 'always on'.

I might see if I can find a Pāli commentarial gloss and see what they link it to. I suppose Sanskrit equivalents must exist but I have no idea where to start. I wonder what the Tibetan is... that often sheds light... any Tibetophiles in the house?

Cheers
Jayarava