[Buddha-l] Eternalism

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Sat Mar 28 12:12:30 MDT 2009

Jayarava--

Thanks for your reply---------Here is what I was thinking about
the conundrum, taking a different route:

sah,  accdg. to Whitney meaning prevail, could in the context of
the word you were researching, be based on a well-known consonant
shift that occurs a lot in IE words, from s to h,  or vice versa.
Also, p.212 top of page one can find root form sas coming before
sah on the list  (with no sign of 'sa's or any of the other s
phonemes).

The meaning of sah does seem to suit eternalism, in the sense of
what prevails (never-ending).

I'm not assuming vat as a possessive but as part of a compound.
So that's why I tried v2. vaa = weave p. 157; one form that
appears is vaataa. Sometimes the length of a vowell also varies
over time, doesn't it? Don't we see this as between some Skt
words? like gaandharva often is written as gandharva, etc.

You wrote, " 'eternalism', with an emphasis on recurrance..."
Weaving can suggest recurrance, as the strands of a weave surface
up and then down, they recur.

Thus, in this case I think a consonantal shift occurred. The leap
root doesn't make sense, to either one of us :) Do my suggestions
make any sense now?

Thanks for starting another fun with roots thread.

Joanna