[Buddha-l] Re. karma and consequences

Jackhat1 at aol.com Jackhat1 at aol.com
Mon Mar 16 08:49:34 MDT 2009

In a message dated 3/16/2009 4:18:14 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
robertupeksa at talktalk.net writes:

I previously gave some examples of karma not being accomplished: a good
person getting cancer, a nasty dictator in happy retirement, and also a lie  which
does not necessarily lead to ascertainable bad results. To assert that  in
these kinds of examples karma must be being fulfilled even though we do not
experience it is dogmatic. It is unfalsifiable.
==
As I understand it, Tibetan Buddhists might say that cancer is directly
caused by kamma. It is also my understanding that Thera would say that cancer  is
not directly caused by cancer but our reaction to that cancer is. That is,
kamma only operates within the Cycle of Dependent Origination. I use the word
"directly"  to account for our reaction to phenomena causing stress which  can,
arguably, cause cancer. This would be an instance of our reaction  indirectly
causing cancer. Is my understanding correct?

Jack

**************Feeling the pinch at the grocery store?  Make meals for Under
$10. (http://food.aol.com/frugal-feasts?ncid=emlcntusfood00000002)