[Buddha-l] karma and consequences

Jayarava jayarava at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 15 11:06:49 MDT 2009

Robert

I'm with some of the other commentators in that I don't accept your definition of karma/vipaka. I don't advocate anything like that, and I'm not entirely sure who you have in your sights. Like Piya I wonder where you are drawing this definition from.

On the other hand I did come up with an example of an educated westerner (that I think you know) who takes an uncritical view of the traditional explanation of karma and is moral as a result. This seemed to get lost in the rush to show that I had misinterpreted what you wrote - your perennial refrain. Is one counter-example enough to falsify your theory or are more required?

I don't think people are as unsophisticated as you make out. And I think you underestimate the importance and positive effects of faith, even blind faith. A recent Time magazine article noted some interesting medical research results: for instance people who have some kind of faith (and most of the people studied were Christians who believed in God) tend to live longer and enjoy better health (on average) than those who do not. Faith communities tend to be happier at least in the ways in which happiness can be measured. The happiest people in the US are the Amish - one of the most dogmatic faith communities in the world.

The discussion seems to be going along a familiar road, it must be very frustrating for you. Is there anyone else who understands and subscribes to your theory other than you, and could we hear from them? Because after some years of trying I still don't see why you are so dogmatic about your theory, or why defending your theory against all comers should have become such a big deal.

Best wishes
Jayarava