[Buddha-l] Schopen lauded

Weng-Fai Wong wongwf at comp.nus.edu.sg
Mon Mar 2 21:22:09 MST 2009

"Fa Yuan Zhu Lin" (T53 No. 2122 Fascicle 98, p. 1005) cites a certain "Great
Sutra of Five Disasters" - I failed to locate this in the Taisho but it is
crossed listed in some of the catalogues found in the Taisho):

"According to the Great Sutra of Five Disasters, there are five chaos (luan)
during the End of Dharma times:

1. Bhiksus learn the Dharma from householders (bai yi - "white clothed
ones"). This is first chaos.

2. Householders are seated above and the bhiksus below (them). This is the
second chaos.

3. Bhiksus do not practice what they preach while householders think what
they teach is supreme. This is the third chaos.

4. Maras appear in the world as bhiksus and the world take what they preach
as the true Dharma. The Buddha-Dharma is no longer clear to the world and
all sorts of lies and falsehood are held as beliefs. This is the fourth
chaos.

5. Bhiksus have wives and servants, earns a livelihood and do not keep the
precepts, making them no different from householders. This is fifth chaos."

Sounds reasonable to me.

W.F. Wong