[Buddha-l] modern buddhist teachers

Jayarava jayarava at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 24 11:09:04 MDT 2009

--- On Wed, 24/6/09, Curt Steinmetz <curt at cola.iges.org> wrote:

> Are there any modern Buddhist teachers who have seriously applied
> themselves to "modernizing" Buddhism, while simultaneously doing justice
> to it's 2500 years of tradition, AND, in doing so, have gained the
> respect of wide numbers of Buddhists across various sects?

Your criteria are hopelessly woolly. What do you mean by modernizing?  What do you mean by justice? Even 'respect' is vague. What, indeed, is Buddhism in this context?

As I understand the terms modern and tradition they are mutually exclusive.

I'm unsure what the respect of "wide numbers" of Buddhists might signify? Mass delusion? Popularity is rarely an indicator of quality! The respect of the ignorant is not something to be cultivated, and I observe that the wise tend to keep their opinions about other Buddhist teachers to themselves.

I would point out that Gandhi is hated by millions of Indians as someone who wanted to perpetuate caste, though I'd never have know this if I hadn't spoken with some Dalits! Gandhi wanted to call the untouchables "Children of God", but keep them in their place under the dung heap.

You seem to be engaged in an unprofitable exercise Curt.

Jayarava