[Buddha-l] the seeds of manas and achetypes

Elvin Eldridge elvineldridge at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 17:28:35 MDT 2009

Dear Professor Lusthaus,

Thank you very much for your excellent explanation! I now realize that
my theory had some kind of big mistakes, especially on this,

> manas does not house its own
> seeds -- they are stored in the alayavijnana, and are in constant flux. The
> main (and some claim only) cognitive object that manas perceives is the
> alayavijnana and its activities, which it mistakes for a "self." Manas is an
> introspective, proud, conceited, appropriating I-maker, a sensibility that
> puts oneself above all others.

The seeds are in the alayavinana, not the manas! That means that the
whole title of this discussion was wrong, but you were the only person
in the BUDDHA-L who noticed it, so I take my hat off! I rechecked the
book of the HOsso Rev. Tagawa, and he said the same thing, the seeds
are kept in the ALAYA, not the MANAS.

So I feel like I really learned a lot. Now I think the seeds are QUITE
DIFFERENT than the archetypes. I will study more from now. In his book
on page 7 the Hosso Rev. Tagawa said:

"If one undestands the four aspects of cognition and the three kinds
of objects, the mastery of Yogacara is half accomplished."

I now understood these, and your teaching helped me a lot, so I think
I am now about 3/4. I think after I finsih the book I can be 100% so I
will try to write an article to contribitue to the Yogacara
Association Web. (Maybe about 2 more weeks)

Elvin