[Buddha-l] Xinjiang vs Tibet

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Thu Jul 9 09:49:37 MDT 2009

Chris wrote:

OTOH the consistent history of the powers that be in China was
first to support one Tibetan faction over another and then to
bribe some of the larger important monasteries with donations
which they came to rely on.
The communists of course stopped this then looted the
monasteries.

Going back to the old ways of pacifying the Tibetans might be
cheaper and more effective than maintaining a large and
repressive army and police force in Tibet.

> Tibet, Qinghai and Xinjiang together accounts for nearly 1/3 of
the
> land area of China.

If you add to these the Tibetan areas of Sichuan and other
provinces together they probably amount to considerably more than
1/3 - then there is Inner Mongolia....

> The water resources of Tibet and the oil and gas resources of
Xinjiang
> mean that it impossible for any central Chinese government to
remain
> in power even at the slightest hint of "letting them go".

China's claims to have "developed" Tibet and helped the Tibetans
are pretty hollow. I live in Bhutan which is similar culturally
to Tibet and in the 1950's was far more backward than Tibet was
at the time. Bhutan has managed to develop just fine without
Chinese assistance - and they still control their own land,
resources etc.

JK:
"cheaper and more effective than maintaining a large and
repressive army and police force in Tibet."  However, the
maintainance of repressive police in these areas is not only to
keep down the indigenes,  but to protect the ever-burgeoning Han
influx.

I agree about the comparison of Bhutan with Tibet. Moreover, the
Chinese have pursued colonial policies in what they call
'development." It is basically for the benefit of Han merchants
and buisnessmen, not the locals. The same holds true for, and is
deeply resented by, the Uighurs. In fact, the Chinese have
already torn up the old city of Kashgar for their private China.
Uighur lands have been heavily invaded, as was and is Tibet, by
Han immigrants taking away jobs and participaitng in the
wonderful "development", that the rest of the Han are brainwashed
about to the point that they resent the Uighurs for not being
"grateful." Ya Allah!

Joanna