[Buddha-l] Ban-ki Moon in Burma seeking release of Aung San Suu Kyi

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 3 04:43:32 MDT 2009

NYTimes, moments ago:

Dan

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/04/world/asia/04myanmar.html?_r=1&hp
---
U.N. Chief Seeks Release of Aung San Suu Kyi
By ALAN COWELL
Published: July 3, 2009

The United Nations secretary general, Ban Ki-moon, arrived in Myanmar on
Friday for a journey he has said will be difficult as he seeks the release
of the jailed pro-democracy leader Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, or at least a
meeting with her.

Shortly after he arrived the Burmese authorities said the current trial of
Ms. Aung San Suu Kyi, who has been under house arrest for 13 of the past 19
years, would be adjourned for one week until July 10, The Associated Press
reported.

Mrs. Aung San Suu Kyi is accused of violating the terms of her current house
arrest after an American man swam uninvited across a lake to her home. Mrs.
Aung San Suu Kyi has denied the charge, but could be sentenced to five years
imprisonment if found guilty. The trial, which was to have resumed on
Friday, had been delayed for a month while lawyers objected to a court
decision to ban three witnesses.

Mrs. Aung San Suu Kyi is being held at the infamous Insein Prison. John
Yettaw, the 53-year-old American intruder who is charged with trespassing,
is also detained there. Her trial was delayed while lawyers appealed the
court’s decision to ban three key witnesses, one of whom was reinstated by
an appeals court.

News reports said a police motorcade flanked Mr. Ban as he drove into
Yangon, the commercial capital.

The United Nations official met later with Senior Gen. Tan Shwe, the leader
of the ruling junta, in Naypyitaw, Myanmar’s remote administrative capital.
The two men met in an ornate reception hall with an indoor waterfall, The
A.P. said.

“I’d like to appreciate your commitment to move your country forward,”
Mr. Ban told the general as the talks began. “I’d like to contribute, to
work together for peace and prosperity.”

Mr. Ban had indicated that he would use the encounter to seek a meeting with
Mrs. Aung San Suu Kyi.

If he is allowed to meet her, he will become the first United Nations
secretary general to visit with her since she was first detained in 1989,
The A.P. said.

The trial of Mrs. Aung San Suu Kyi has stirred broad international protest
among her supporters who say the military junta is intent on keeping her
behind bars ahead of and during elections due next year.

Speaking to reporters late Thursday in Singapore, Mr. Ban said: “I’m going
to argue for the release of all political prisoners, including Aung San Suu
Kyi.”

Mr. Ban, who is also planning to meeting Prime Minister Gen. Thein Sein,
added, “This is going to be, I know, a very difficult mission. But at the
same time I know that to bring changes to Myanmar, political conciliation
and democratization, we need to do our best,” The A.P. reported.

According to his official schedule, he plans to meet leaders of registered
political parties and former armed groups who have signed a truce with the
government.

On Saturday, Mr. Ban plans to fly over the Irrawaddy Delta, devastated by
Cyclone Nargis last year with the loss of 138,000 lives.