[Buddha-l] modern buddhist teachers

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 3 03:38:14 MDT 2009

Richard wrote:

> It has been about one decade since I heard him say those things.
> People I know who spend quite a bit of time with him report that he
> still says those things. But of course hearsay is not a pramāṇa (or
> so they say---I have not tested that hypothesis personally).

I have no doubt that he still believes them -- they were epiphanies for him.
I also have no doubt that "political realities" have forced him to publicly
backtrack on most of it, for the sake of the community and its longevity.

It's not a matter of pramāṇa, but the old Buddhist practice of tailoring the
message to the audience. I suspect (sans pramāṇa) that the folks who still
hear this message are those inclined to want to hear such messages.

>>an axis of evil
>
> Well, if you'll let me put the United States and Israel on the list,

Sigh! Bad habits die hard.

Dan