[Buddha-l] Aupapaduka

L.S. Cousins selwyn at ntlworld.com
Sun Jan 25 02:06:00 MST 2009

One or two quick comments on the history of these words.

Piya Tan wrote:
> (2) What do you think of Pali "opapaatika" and "aupapaaduka" being
> synonyms. As such, the Pali term opapaatika would both mean "spontaneously
> born" (for non-returners" as well as "intermediate being".

In the form of written Middle Indian current especially from the second
century B.C. to the first century A.D. words derived from Sanskrit
upapaata and from Sanskrit upapaada were often identical in form. But
there was no standardized spelling.  From the second century A.D. or so
onwards) there was a general move towards a more standardized and
literary form of written language. This eventually produced the
languages we know as Buddhist Sanskrit and Pali (and probably others).

In the case in question it meant that those who were tidying up the
texts needed to make a choice between a derivation from upapaata and one
from upapaada. The ancestors of the Pali tradition chose the former
(perhaps seeing a connexion also to upapatti), while the ancestors of
the Sanskrit texts known to us chose the latter.

Originally, there was not much difference in meaning. Both effectively
mean 'taking rebirth' and one has to understand this as meaning 'taking
rebirth directly' i.e. not going to an egg or a womb or some kind of
generative fluid. 'Direct rebirth' seems to be the default mode for
everything except human beings and animals.

Lance Cousins