[Buddha-l] Mirror neurons, anyone?

Franz Metcalf franz at mind2mind.net
Sun Jan 18 11:05:55 MST 2009

Steve et al.,

Thanks for mentioning Siegel again and sharing a few of your notes.

Siegel's notion of learning attunement through exercising our mirror
neurons strikes me as the neurological equivalent of what attachment
theorists and object relations psychologists say is the fundamental
process of becoming fully human. Of course they call it by different
names and see it as an interpersonal process grounded in the
relationship of the maternal object and the infant. I see it this way,
myself. So it is fascinating to me to read of this neuropsychological
parallel process. But of course this is how things ought to be: the
neurological, the internal, and the interpersonal are three dimensions
of what is essentially one process, no?

Does Siegel talk about attachment theory? People like Alan Fonagy (who
calls this process "mentalization")? In any case, I plainly must read
Siegel's work.

Oh, and, um, Buddhism. Very important.

Franz Metcalf