[Buddha-l] Lunar new year prison releases

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Sat Jan 17 23:07:03 MST 2009

Richard was recently on about our injustice system and overfilled
prisons.
Here's a practice that we might consider emulating:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090116/ap_on_re_as/as_vietnam_press_
freedom_2

HANOI, Vietnam - Vietnam will grant an early release to a
journalist jailed for his aggressive coverage of a government
corruption scandal, an official said Friday.

Le The Tiem, Vice Minister of Public Security, says journalist
Nguyen Viet Chien will be released Saturday along with more than
15,000 prisoners as part of an annual Lunar New Year prison
amnesty. Thirty-six foreign nationals will also be freed,
including a British citizen, a French citizen and 19 Chinese.

The Lunar New Year festivities, Vietnam's biggest holiday, start
on Jan. 26.[etc]