[Buddha-l] Darwin's 200th centennial

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Fri Feb 13 13:07:59 MST 2009

jkirk schreef:
> http://pewresearch.org/pubs/1105/darwin-debate-religion-evolution
>
> Find interesting graph here showing that of all the US religions,
> 81% of Buddhists agree that evolution is the best explanation for
> origins of life on earth, followed closely by Hindus at 80% .
> Mainline Protestants come up with a mere 51% and it gets
> progressively more ignorant, moving down the scale through
> Muslim, Black Protestant, Evangelical Protestant, Mormon; and
> Jehovah's Witness at 8%.
> Overall, 63% of Americans don't accept Darwin's theory and 64%
> agree that creationism should be taught in schools along with
> evolution.
>
> With brilliance of that quality, no wonder we are so dedicated to
> greed and delusion. Such biases include the ironic probability
> (my guess) that many if not most of those who condemn Darwin also
> accept the non-Darwinian views of some kinds of "Social
> Darwinism" which support race and class "inferiority". (The
> wikipedia article on this topic is faulty in many ways, but if
> you read it judge for yourself. There's a better discussion of
> Social Darwinism here:
> http://library.thinkquest.org/C004367/eh4.shtml )

There's another obvious mistake in social Darwinism. Evolution works
through natural variance in genetic qualities in newborns. The
individuals with the most suitable qualities live longer and breed more
succesfully. In human society the reverse happens. The poor have large
families and the rich small ones. That's one of the causes for the fact
that the rich stay rich and the poor stay poor and the first are always
outnumbered by the last.
 A more philosophical objection is that social Darwinism fiddles with
the meaning of the word 'good' and mixes up the meanings like 'noble',
'suitable', 'succesfull' and 'morally recommendable'. Anyone who has
followed the narrow escape the world had from Sarah Palin becoming
president of the U.S. of A. will agree that this mix up can be very
dangerous.
I wonder if Darwinism can be applied to karma, i.e. if good karma makes
life last longer you have  more opportunity to generate good karma than
bad karma and everyone should have more good karma in the long run. The
amount of people with good karma should grow as well.

--

Erik

Info: www.xs4all.nl/~jehms
Weblog: http://www.volkskrantblog.nl/pub/blogs/blog.php?uid=2950