[Buddha-l] Darwin's 200th centennial

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Fri Feb 13 08:19:13 MST 2009

http://pewresearch.org/pubs/1105/darwin-debate-religion-evolution

Find interesting graph here showing that of all the US religions,
81% of Buddhists agree that evolution is the best explanation for
origins of life on earth, followed closely by Hindus at 80% .
Mainline Protestants come up with a mere 51% and it gets
progressively more ignorant, moving down the scale through
Muslim, Black Protestant, Evangelical Protestant, Mormon; and
Jehovah's Witness at 8%.
Overall, 63% of Americans don't accept Darwin's theory and 64%
agree that creationism should be taught in schools along with
evolution.

With brilliance of that quality, no wonder we are so dedicated to
greed and delusion. Such biases include the ironic probability
(my guess) that many if not most of those who condemn Darwin also
accept the non-Darwinian views of some kinds of "Social
Darwinism" which support race and class "inferiority". (The
wikipedia article on this topic is faulty in many ways, but if
you read it judge for yourself. There's a better discussion of
Social Darwinism here:
http://library.thinkquest.org/C004367/eh4.shtml )

Joanna K.