[Buddha-l] Buddhism as a 'Selfish' Religion

connie nichicon at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 3 12:13:36 MST 2009

Dear Warner,
I don't know whether Almond mentioned this one, but there's always "the bamboo pole acrobat" story where the pupil tells the master: "You look after yourself and I'll look after myself ... That's the way to do it!" -- Kindred Sayings vol V, p148, in part:

[...] And how, monks, by warding oneself does one ward another?
It is by following after, by cultivating, by making much of him.^2
And how, monks, by warding another does one ward himself?
It is by forbearance, by harmlessness, by goodwill, by compassion towards him. That, monks, is how he wards himself.
Monks, ye must observe the station of mindfulness which means "I'll ward myself." Ye must observe that which means: "I'll ward another." It is by warding self, monks, that one wards another. It is by warding another that one wards himself.'

p149 n2: Comy. His regular systematic life which leads to Arahantship attracts the attention of another, who follows his example and so 'goes to heaven.'

<end quotes>
peace,
connie