[Buddha-l] Buddhism as a 'Selfish' Religion

Warner Belanger wbelanger at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 11:17:23 MST 2009

Denizens!
Does anyone have any suggestions to advance the discussion either to
disprove or agree with the statement that the goal of nirvana in Buddhism is
inherently selfish?

I realize this is an old discussion after looking at Almond's "The British
Discovery of Buddhism", but fresh takes on it would be welcome, besides
pointing out that the doctrine of anatman negates in someway the idea of
'selfishness'.

The suggestions can be as technical or popular as you like. I have a feeling
this might be a reoccurring question in my Intro classes.

Thanks in advance,
Warner