[Buddha-l] "Western Self, Asian Other"

JKirkpatrick jkirk at spro.net
Tue Dec 29 10:45:54 MST 2009

Sorry not to have read the article yet--but your description of
the charge of orientalism (the idea originally of Edward Said) is
right on the mark, as I see it anyway. But I would add the term
"romantic" to your definition, as I have done below.
Will now get to the article (which I have a funny feeling I
already read months ago)......Joanna

RH:
As I understand the charge of Orientalism, it is the charge that
a scholar either deliberately or unwittingly portrays a culture
in an unflattering [and/or romantic] way and thereby reinforces
the idea that the other culture is backwards and perhaps in need
of being nudged toward higher levels of civilization by another
culture; Orientalism, as I understand it, goes hand in hand with
justifying colonization, invasion and warfare