[Buddha-l] Sounds of the Real Japan

Katherine Masis twin_oceans at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 28 16:43:01 MST 2009

Eewww!!!  This small article is depressing--that is, if it’s true.  Not having traveled to Japan, I can’t really tell.  So much for Zen and for mindfulness in Japan.  Watch the video when you click on the link.
______________________________________
SOUNDS OF THE REAL JAPAN

(From http://www.japanvisitor.com/index.php?cID=401&pID=1145)

“There is of course, however, muzak. Japan is the king of muzak. It blares from speakers attached to telephone poles on every corner in Japan. Even religious temples have speakers and announcements.

Cynics claim that subliminal messages--"Buy! Shop! Spend your money!" or "Don't cause any trouble! Obey the police!"--are being projected to keep citizens docile and properly anesthetized.

An elderly man stares; a lone cyclist passes at the end of the recording.
June 11, 2006.”

All this has made me wonder:  How in the world can we fight back against the speaker and TV pollution that has invaded the entire planet?  I’ve found a gadget that will turn off unwelcome TV’s in public places (http://www.tvbgone.com) and excellent articles at http://hnn.us/articles/44904.html  and http://www.whitedot.org/issue/iss_story.asp?slug=ruinedDinersActionGuide, but the technological onslaught seems overwhelming.

If anyone on this list can cheer me up, please do.  Buddhist content?  Plenty!

Discouraged,
Katherine Masis