[Buddha-l] How Gallup, Pew & Templeton Pro$elytize in the Guise of "Research"

JKirkpatrick jkirk at spro.net
Mon Dec 28 07:50:38 MST 2009

Yes, and the way polls are constructed is often or usually a study in the grossest manipulation.
For ex., recently the NYT asked me to take an online survey they were doing. I wanted to see what they were up to, so went there, began filling up the slots, and quickly noted that this poll/survey, and many others I've been asked to do over recent years when they began materialising in the US universe was that they were full of push-questions,  the same questions asked in different ways, with no questions allowing to you to check "not relevant," or, "doesn't apply".  Such polls/surveys rarely allow one, as RB says below, to speak "for themselves." You are forced to speak their-speak.

Speaking of surveys, I'll be interested to see how the next US Census is constructed and if there is a religion question (as I recall, religion is not a question on the Census). Usually when asked to give my "race," I check Other. If a write-in is allowed, I write German- English- Scottish- French. Since the Census allows the identification of "Asian," then why doesn't it allow for other descriptive terms that have nothing to do with skin color?  Bah-humbug!
As the Indians figured out during the days of the UK Raj, white faces aren't white but red, or at least pink---but "white" is still the skin color of choice in political and journalism circles. The US Census should drop "race" and start using "ethnic origin" to get an idea of the various groups in our population. Using skin color and race designations perpetuates racism.

Joanna

 On Behalf Of R B Basham

FWIW, survey items about religious practices, including beliefs, seem extremely prejudicial in the USA. Typically, I struggle with the questions as well as the selection of responses. The old BeliefNet was worldly in contrast to two, perceived as ignorantly Abrahamic chauvinistic ones, that I completed in the last year. These weren't fraudulent as was a recent Republican Party solicitation full of polarizing crap pretending to be a national 'survey'.

However, let's face that 'God', for example, varies in meaning and meaningfulness to atheists, ..., and polytheists. Similarly, for 'prayer', again as an example, to atheists, ..., to even between Abrahamics, Hindi, ... , and so on. Point being to rely on Abrahamic semantic sets and constructs is bias and is prejudicial when applied beyond those-of-like-mind.

OTT, everyone has valid points on this when they have spoken for themselves.

Richard Basham