[Buddha-l] What's the use of buddha-l?

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Sun Dec 27 08:44:48 MST 2009

Op 27-12-2009 13:56, Mike Austin schreef:
> Chris Fynn<cfynn at gmx.net>  writes
>

>> Does everything need to fulfil a utilitarian purpose to justify its
>> existence?
>>
> Yes: when that 'existence' is largely contingent on the effort put in by
> those asking such a question.  The real question they are asking is "Are
> my efforts benefiting anyone?"

Not necessarily true, if you like what you do, you don't have to have a
utilitarian justification. It is a very Buddhistic point of view to say
that life in general is not useful. Perhaps you might ask yourself don't
I have some better things to do?
> Being a central figure running a Buddhist Centre,  this sort of question
> often arises in my mind.

I've been there too and my answer used to be that I had no clue
whatsoever if the Centre was of any use to anyone, but I liked the
region to provide the possibility for people to find out. And as long as
people kept coming it served that purpose.
> I would vote to keep Buddha-l. Just wobble about in the middle, Richard.

The same could be said of the list, as long as there's enough discussion
going on it serves a purpose, but if nobody would bother to react any
more, it would have become obsolete. For Richard and Jim it's of course
a matter of personal choice if it's worth the effort.
I to would vote to keep Buddha-l.

erik

--
Groet