[Buddha-l] What's the use of buddha-l?

Mike Austin mike at lamrim.org.uk
Sun Dec 27 05:56:12 MST 2009

Chris Fynn <cfynn at gmx.net> writes

>Does everything need to fulfil a utilitarian purpose to justify its
>existence?

Yes: when that 'existence' is largely contingent on the effort put in by
those asking such a question.  The real question they are asking is "Are
my efforts benefiting anyone?"

Being a central figure running a Buddhist Centre,  this sort of question
often arises in my mind. Because I don't get much direct benefit myself,
weariness fosters doubt: given that my intentions are such and such, are
my actions effective and worthwhile? Sometimes I fancy that others might
benefit. Sometimes I doubt it. Mainly, I wobble about in between. Should
I seriously wobble towards doubt, then the 'existence' of the place will
find no justification in my mind and will have to find it elsewhere.

I would vote to keep Buddha-l. Just wobble about in the middle, Richard.

--
Metta
Mike Austin