[Buddha-l] Lamas and such

James Ward jamesward at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 6 14:32:25 MST 2009

Dear Dan and Richard,

Maybe Richard is onto something here: we could use a term like
"Suttaagamaabhidhamma Buddhism!"  Ha ha!

This reminds me of that wonderful term of Chinese historical
periodization, "San guo wei jin nan bei chao" (and its variations),
"Three Kingdoms-Wei-Jin-Northern and Southern Dynasties."  Just pick
the terms you want to include and string them all together -- problem
solved!

We haven't touched upon an earlier usage, "Northern Buddhism" and
"Southern Buddhism."  There are certainly good historical reasons for
this terminology to fall from favor, but you can see why it was ever
adopted in the first place -- it did give a kind of "cartographical
snapshot" of the distribution of the two perceived main currents of
Buddhism at the time these terms were contemporary.  And they are not
particularly value-laden in terms of emotional attitude, just in what
they choose to group together as the two main currents.  Of course they
are purely modern, and break down completely when trying to capture
historical developments with a word or phrase.

Dan, with regard to the "eighteen schools," yes, of course the number
is pretty arbitrary :-)  "Approximately-Eighteen-School Buddhism" or
"Traditionally-Numbered-as-Eighteen-School Buddhism" are definitely
cumbersome.  And "~Eighteen-School," "Eighteen (+/-) -School" and "
'Eighteen'-School" rely on typography that is hard to capture verbally.
  So that one's out!  (No "air-quotes" at the lecture podium, please!)

(Richard, is "gospel" really out of favor in secular teaching circles?
That seems like kind of a necessary term to keep.  Maybe you are
referring to the phrase "the gospel" as an umbrella term for the
canonical Christian writings?  When used to refer to the synoptic
gospels, or the four canonical gospels, or the Gospel of Thomas (etc.),
I have an [unexamined] feeling that it serves a useful purpose.)

I guess we could just pick the terms we fancy and put "so-called" in
front of them.  Or "formerly-known-as!" :-)

James Ward