[Buddha-l] Lamas and such

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Sun Dec 6 02:18:08 MST 2009

Dan Lusthaus schreef:
> I know a Chinese Theravada monk (ordained in Sri Lanka) who would beg to
> differ. The term xiaosheng (little vehicle) definitely carries negative
> connotations. Xiao doesn't just mean little, it means "lesser," "inferior,"
> "minor" (as opposed to major), and when used to characterize a person, means
> someone of lowly, "mean", "inferior" character, a trifling, small-minded,
> petty. That is standard Chinese usage for at least the last 2500 years.
>
> Dan

Naming of examples of people or groups who are offended by a term makes
a very long discussion and a very long list of censored words, because
some make their favourite sport out of being being offended. I guess
every word gets it's meaning from the context and cotext.
About the use and meaning of the word xiao I have different data. On
CCTV there is a daily course in Mandarin Chinese and there is an online
course in Chinese called Chinese Pod. Both teachers of these courses
insist that the word xiao is used by a person of higher position to a
subordinate one and has an undertone of affection. An adult will also
call a child a xiao pengyou, little friend. In the context of the
accerole and ptability of difference in status in the Chinese society I
defenitely don't see any ground for the qualification mean or small minded.

erik