[Buddha-l] Lamas and such

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 6 00:54:27 MST 2009

Richard,
> The Chinese term is no offensive. "Xiao" means small. It is not a
> translation of "hīna," which means "discarded, thrown away, abandoned,
> rubbish."

I know a Chinese Theravada monk (ordained in Sri Lanka) who would beg to
differ. The term xiaosheng (little vehicle) definitely carries negative
connotations. Xiao doesn't just mean little, it means "lesser," "inferior,"
"minor" (as opposed to major), and when used to characterize a person, means
someone of lowly, "mean", "inferior" character, a trifling, small-minded,
petty. That is standard Chinese usage for at least the last 2500 years.

Dan