[Buddha-l] Buddhists May Help Biotechies Solve Big Mental HealthWoes, Says Merck Vet Ben Shapiro

S.A. Feite sfeite at roadrunner.com
Fri Aug 21 19:30:28 MDT 2009

On Aug 21, 2009, at 8:31 PM, jkirk wrote:

> Sorry to seem cynical, but I have to say that this phrase
> attributed to Shapiro : "combinations of mind training and drugs"
> as a future way to go would naturally occur to a big pharma
> person.

Well, of course, you've touched on the very hotpoint of this topic.

That is the idea. We HAVE to promote some sort of responsible
treatment for the (otherwise) life-long drug hordes of homo sapiens in
the US medical future.  Big Pharm would just *love* us to fall into
this outcome, & Big Pharma and Big Insure are just wanting to dance
some profit dance we're rarely privy to, us regular US residents. How
many are going to fall because they because they're involved in
harmonious, integrated (you guess the buzzword) life-style? This will
have to become more important in their financial equation. Put it this
way: if self-improvement helps Big Insure a way to save money: Big
Insure will like it.

Oh well, yes, that is what they need to know--and therefore *control*
their (very simply): profits. Before you know an outcome, it is always
best to quantify some equation. Know that, you can then "control" it.
How many of your "stress reduction" folks are out there? Buddha-L?

Work-side insurance programs already ready probe for personal info on
your biochemistry, your lab values, etc.--but only on signing up for
some enrollment to a self-help program of some kind whereby your
employer slightly decreases your weekly insurance payment (hmmm.).

Increase their profit = pushing your self-picked healthy life-style.
Gee, thanks.

Expect future work-plans to contain significant benefits to those who
decide to meditate. Maybe. Better be able to prove those hours on the
cushion. Care to be hooked up?

> Nothing duly noted about such factors as lifestyle, economic
> condition, general health etc...which if these could be aided in
> various ways by Buddhist education plus meditation training,
> might remove the need for drugs.
> Joanna

I already, presently, have insurance that gives me--in addition to
great standard care--access to "certain" alternative care, all paid or
with a small deductible. Would I like to see that increase to include
"Tibetan Medicine" or non-MD based Ayurveda? Damn straight I would. I
already have massage when prescribed by a physician, acupuncture and
chiro 11 times before I need an MD's added prescription. Decent, I'd
say. But it needs to expand to even more alt-regimes (that need to all
work towards legit. certification) that are truly viable. Once that
occurs, alternative options could create a watershed to cheap
healthcare. Or cheaper anyhoo.

Guess you must be feeling better,

Steve