[Buddha-l] Volume 54 Issue 52

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Thu Aug 20 18:49:14 MDT 2009

I trust that you didn't mean to imply that Paul Ekman was the
western meditator, as he wasn't. He was impressed by the meeting,
but made it clear he was not converted in any way to Buddhist
views, such as rebirth.
If that meditator was truly able to not flinch, quite amazing.
Joanna

PS--I have fresh ginger in the fridge--but unknown to me how to
use it for mega fluid loss at both ends.

He also tells the great story of Paul Ekman's early life and his
meeting the HHDL, and the fascinating story of this western guy
who has mastered samadhi, being tested for flinching in a lab by
meditating next to a sound like a shot gun blast going off. They
test him for fixed attention and open presence styles, and
through the open presence, Dzogchen practice he is able to almost
completely eliminate the instinctive flinch (you normally cannot
suppress).