[Buddha-l] Volume 54 Issue 52

S.A. Feite sfeite at roadrunner.com
Thu Aug 20 18:04:26 MDT 2009

On Aug 20, 2009, at 1:21 PM, Jackhat1 at aol.com wrote:

> The book Destructive Emotions by Daniel Goleman  is compilation of a
> series
> of talks and interactions of a group of  neuroscientists and The Dalai
> Lama. If I remember correctly Davidson was a  member of the group.

That's right. A good read, Goleman weaves the story so you experience
it as a sense of discovery with the group at one of the 'invitation
only' Mind and Life conferences held at the Dalai Lamas residence in
Dharamsala.

He also tells the great story of Paul Ekman's early life and his
meeting the HHDL, and the fascinating story of this western guy who
has mastered samadhi, being tested for flinching in a lab by
meditating next to a sound like a shot gun blast going off. They test
him for fixed attention and open presence styles, and through the open
presence, Dzogchen practice he is able to almost completely eliminate
the instinctive flinch (you normally cannot suppress).