[Buddha-l] The state of buddha-l: a brief report

Franz Metcalf franz at mind2mind.net
Sun Aug 16 14:31:38 MDT 2009

Alberto et al.,

Thank you for that provocative defense of notes including titles,
Alberto. In fact, having considered your point, I think you're right.
Perhaps a good solution is not having notes so much as changing the
form of parenthetical references to include titles (or perhaps
abbreviated titles).

Meanwhile, the conversation continues on H-Buddhism. A respected
scholar, Oliver Freiburger, just wrote this:

> Call me archaic, but I don’t like in-line citations. They may be
> convenient for the author, but as a reader I find it rather annoying
> having to consult the bibliography of a book for each single
> reference. With citations such as “Schopen 1988b: 22” or “Smith
> 2001: 5” the author has done his or her duty, but they give the
> reader very little information and force him or her to start
> investigating what exactly they refer to. I think in-line citations
> were developed in the natural sciences (and came upon us via the
> social sciences), to capture the basic information that is most
> required in the sciences, i.e. the name of the author of a study and
> the year of publication, to indicate how recent the results are.
> Regardless whether or not these would be the most important data for
> abbreviating a citation in our field, having a complete citation
> conveniently at hand in the footnote on the same page makes it very
> easy for the reader to quickly see the argument in context and check
> the references. I’ve never viewed citations as “clutter,” even in
> works that are tangential to my interest, and I’m surprised that
> some scholars do. A quick glance at the footnote assures me that I
> can find everything I need when I need it, and I can keep on
> reading. (Honestly, we fully “read” a citation anyway only when we
> want to look it up, right? No disruptive clutter there.) Quite on
> the contrary, it’s in-line citations that hinder me in reading
> smoothly - and they don’t even give me much information. I find
> citations in footnotes much more reader-friendly.

I think he makes a strong point, and one very similar to Alberto's.
More thinking through is required to find the best practice.

Cheers,

Franz