[Buddha-l] The state of buddha-l: a brief report

Alberto Todeschini alberto.tod at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 18:28:31 MDT 2009

Franz Metcalf wrote:

> Yes, the current discussion on H-Buddhism is, I believe, the most
> discursive we've ever had. We're pretty buttoned down over there, but
> the topic of diacritics and footnotes has somehow pushed those
> buttons. I've even contributed, myself.

and you also wrote:

"I would assert that failure to use in-line option for
citations is archaic and absurd. If someone would like to make an
argument for retaining foot- or endnotes for citations, I sincerely
would like to hear it."

Hi,

I've recently decided to do exactly what you call archaic and absurd and
here's why: I like to have the information handy and even hyperlinks
aren't quite good enough. Example: if I see the following in a footnote,

Searle, Speech Acts, 105

I know exactly what the book is and I don't need to find out. If I see
the following in-line:

(Searle 1969, 105)

I don't know what book or article it is and I waste time to find out. So
lately every time I give a reference I supply information in the format
of my first example.

Obviously, we all work differently. Maybe others don't have the impulse
to find out the title as I do. Maybe I am truly archaic and absurd.

I don't care about knowing the publisher while I'm reading so that kind
of information can stay at the end of the paper/book, but I do like to
know the title.

Best,

Alberto Todeschini