[Buddha-l] The state of buddha-l: a brief report

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 15 19:19:59 MDT 2009

In an effort to demonstrate how silly academics are, compared to buddha-l's
high-decorum antics, Richard proposed to give you a sampling from the list
Indology, which, like its name suggests, is concerned with matters having to
do with India.

The sampling is introduced thus:

> This is just in from INDOLOGY, where Dipak Bhattacharya writes:
> "Personally, I am certain that Papaver somniferum L. is not known
> before the second millennium AD in India.  One can see how confused
> medical authors are about it, even as late as the commentators on
> Sarngadhara's Sarngadharasamhita (ca 1400).  The Sanskrit name is a
> transparent borrowing from Greek."

Only a philistine would fail to recognize this is pulled out of context from
an ongoing discussion. Why, one might ask, would anyone be intereseted in
the provenance of a medical herb in India? Answer: Lots, if one is trying to
identify what was going on in Indian medicine at various times, and how our
classification of plants, etc., does or does not overlap with Indian
classifications of various periods.

What someone who is not a subscriber to the Indology list would not realize
based on Richard's introduction, is that his misattribution kle"sa is still
acting up. The message he (partially) sites was not written by D.
Bhattacharya, but composed by Dominik Wujastyk, who is not only the main
list operator for Indology, but a noted scholar on Sanskrit Grammar and in
more recent years has turned his attention to classical Indian medicine
(numerous articles, and a book published by Penguin, UK). His explanation
arose in response to a query. Thank goodness that sort of information is so
easily accessible!

One of the things that academic lists do very successfully (let's see how
buddha-l stacks up) is act as an international virtually instantaneous
resource for nagging research questions. What happens when you are working
on something, and the usual reference materials at hand cannot solve a
problem? And where ever you turn for the necessary information you are
drawing a blank. (The issue may be a major or minor point, but when you are
working on it, everything is "important" and may be unexpectedly
crucial.)Scholars have discovered that on the academically well-attended
lists, where many, perhaps most of the leading scholars in the field are
subscribers, one can pose the question online, and quickly discover:

(1) this is a recognized issue, that has not yet been solved as far as
anyone knows;
(2) there are resources available, perhaps a bit off the beaten path, that
address exactly that problem (with citation info).
(3) there are several ways to tackle the issue, with multiple suggestions
from the best hunches in the business.
(4) you are a dumb twerp for not recognizing that this is so basic and
obvious you are wasting everyone's time (though, unlike buddha-l patter,
that is usually conveyed in diplomatic tones).

Buddha-l used to have lots of Buddhist scholars... There are only a very few
of us who remain -- Lord Buddha only knows why. Obviously buddha-l can be
very inhospitable to scholarship.

To complain that one finds that kind of discussion on an Indology list is
analogous to complaining that one finds definitions for words in a
dictionary. How stiffling! Words should be allowed to run free and trip up
Republicans...

Ok. Richard. Your turn. Misattribute something.

Dan