[Buddha-l] Fsat Mnifdlunses?

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Thu Aug 13 18:01:06 MDT 2009

On Aug 13, 2009, at 5:31 PM, Dan Lusthaus wrote:

> Rather, I was suggesting that *mis-labeling*
> Yogacara or Madhyamaka with those terms is malicious or pernicious.

Again, I would need to see what harm was done by those labels, and I'd
need to see evidence that there was intent to harm.

> But let's not get caught up arguing about how to label mis-labelers.
> More
> useful would be to determine what such schools actually promoted,
> rather
> than how effectively one can squeeze them into clothes that don't fit
> properly.

Talking about schools seems unpromising. Talking about particular
texts seems a better use of time. But we both know that it is
fiendishly difficult to get even a single text more or less right.
Given how difficult it is to get a handle on most Indian Buddhists, I
see no alternative to being quite tolerant of those who arrive at
different interpretations than one's own.