[Buddha-l] Fsat Mnifdlunses?

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 13 17:31:11 MDT 2009

> I'm unwilling to call either idealism or nāstikavāda either malicious
> or pernicious views until I see some evidence that 1) holding such
> views does anyone any harm, and 2) the intent behind promoting those
> views is to do harm.
>
> Richard

I wasn't suggesting that idealism or nihilism (I'm not really sure what the
referent of nāstikavāda is supposed to be, except that Nyaya Sutra,
Caraka-samhita, and others found it appalling) themselves are necessarily
malicious or pernicious. Rather, I was suggesting that *mis-labeling*
Yogacara or Madhyamaka with those terms is malicious or pernicious. Since it
is usually done in the classical sources to demean, undermine, and
ultimately disregard the teachings of those schools, "malicious and
pernicious" may be apt.

But let's not get caught up arguing about how to label mis-labelers. More
useful would be to determine what such schools actually promoted, rather
than how effectively one can squeeze them into clothes that don't fit
properly.

Dan