[Buddha-l] The Slow Movement

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Mon Aug 10 21:05:19 MDT 2009

On Aug 10, 2009, at 7:53 PM, Katherine Masis wrote:

> That's why I wonder why there are some Buddhist teachers out there
> who frantically race from place to place and activity to activity.

Two reasons: fame and fortune.

> Somewhere in the midst of all this busy-ness, the teachings and
> practice get lost.

Yes, but just think of all the contributions they are making to global
warming!

> Of course, the Buddha did not live in a time when there was a hectic
> pace of life.

I'm not so sure. There seem to have been plenty of wars to fight,
treasure to plunder, rivals to debate and territories to conquer. I
think the opportunities for workaholism have been part of the human
race ever since some jackass decided to strike to flints together to
make a fire.

> but of course, slowness is tolerated a bit better in Latin America!

Fortunately, New Mexico is still part of Latin America. The gringos
may have stolen the land, but they still haven't won the hearts and
minds of the people.

Ricardo