[Buddha-l] The Slow Movement

Katherine Masis twin_oceans at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 10 19:53:25 MDT 2009

Richard Hayes wrote:

"If Buddhism is done quickly, it's not Buddhism at all."
True.  That's why I wonder why there are some Buddhist teachers out there who frantically race from place to place and activity to activity.  Somewhere in the midst of all this busy-ness, the teachings and practice get lost.  I agree 100% with Thich Nhat Hanh's warning against burning out when building a practice center.  We can extend this to any other dharma-related activity.  Are there any suttas to back this up?  Of course, the Buddha did not live in a time when there was a hectic pace of life.

Regarding lifespan milestones, I'm about as slow as you are Richard, so you're not the only one--but of course, slowness is tolerated a bit better in Latin America!

Katherine Masis