[Buddha-l] cloyingly sweet? Call Me By My True Name (was the Slow Movement)

Robert Ertman robertertman at msn.com
Mon Aug 10 16:46:32 MDT 2009

To those who find Thich Nhat Hanh cloyingly sweet, I recommend his poem "Please Call Me By My True Names."

***
I am the frog swimming happily
in the clear water of a pond.
And I am the grass-snake
that silently feeds itself on the frog.

I am the child in Uganda, all skin and bones,
my legs as thin as bamboo sticks.
And I am the arms merchant,
selling deadly weapons to Uganda.
***