[Buddha-l] Question on Buddhist Debating Traditions

Bradley Clough Bradley.clough at mso.umt.edu
Wed Aug 5 12:28:38 MDT 2009

Dear Katherine,

There has certainly been work on ancient modes of logical debate in
Theravada. The methods of debate that are employed in the text that
presents early Indian Buddhist debates from a Theravada perspective,
the Kathaavatthu, are laid out in the "Prefatory Notes" (pp. xxvii-
liv) to Shwe Zan Aung and C.A.F. Rhys-Davids, tr., _Points of
Controversy or Subjects of Discourse: Being a Translation of the
Kathavatthu_ (London: Pali Text Society, 1915).
I don't know if debate is still practiced at Theravada "monastic
colleges" (pirivenas) like Vidyodaya and Vidyalankara in Sri Lanka,
but the following book is a full exposition of Theravadin methods of
logical argumentation and debate: Ven. Hegoda Khemananda, _Logic and
Epistemology in Theravada (Theravada Nyaya)_ (Colombo: Karunaratne and
Sons, 1993). Ven. Khemananda is/was Vice-Chancellor of Vidyodaya
Pirivena, so his work MIGHT reflect practices at his college.

I'll have to defer to others on debate in Ch'an/Zen. There is a wealth
of material of material on Tibetan debate, from scholars like Klein,
Perdue, Dreyfus, and Liberman. I assume that you're aware of these
works, but if not, I can send references along.

Best Wishes,
Brad

Bradley Clough <bradley.clough at mso.umt.edu>
Assistant Professor of Asian Religions