[Buddha-l] Question on Buddhist Debating Traditions

Katherine Masis twin_oceans at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 2 17:49:55 MDT 2009

Dear List,

I understand that In Zen there are mostly non-discursive Dharma combats, in Tibetan Buddhism there are more discursive and non-discursive debates, and I don't know if there is a debating tradition in Theravada.  Would someone please point out the similarities and differences between or among these debating traditions, or provide me with a link or two where I can get some information?  So far I haven't come up with much on the web.

Many thanks,
Katherine Masís