[Buddha-l] People die

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Sun Oct 26 18:42:00 MDT 2008

Dear denizens,

Some of you who have been on buddha-l for a very long time, almost since
the beginning, may recall Bill Bright. He was a linguist who worked with
native American languages. He contributed to buddha-l in the early days.
He said he enjoyed the wild and carefree spirit of this crazy forum. It
was Bill Bright who first brought to my attention a passing similarity
between my brand of reckless playfulness and the trickery of the coyote
archetype in American Indian culture. It was his inspiration, and his
gift of his book The Coyote Reader, that was responsible for me signing
Coyote at the bottom of some of my messages. I had the pleasure of
meeting him in person about twelve years ago and found him a
delightfully learned and ironic man. It came to my attention, quite by
chance, a few days ago that Bill Bright died in 2006 at the age of 78.
His memorial home page can be viewed at http://www.ncidc.org/bright/

A more recent death was that of Lucinda Peach this past summer. She was
also an early contributor to buddha-l. She had an interesting mixture of
academic pursuits involving Buddhism, gender issues and social justice
concerns. She was much too young to die. Just 52. Those of us who knew
her felt a deep sense of loss when breast cancer brought on her
impermanence. I may have mentioned her death on buddha-l before, in
which case I apologize for being repetitious. A memorial page on her
career can be viewed at
http://www.indiana.edu/~relstud/news/InMemoryofLucindaPeach.shtml

--
Richard Hayes