[Buddha-l] Atheist bus campaign

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Sun Oct 26 18:11:55 MDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-10-25 at 10:44 -0700, Jayarava wrote:

> I seem to recall you previously translating Hinayana as "garbage truck"...

I can't even imagine doing anything as naughty as that.

> I was at a lecture by Dr Richard Salomon last year - at a PTS meeting.

Was Sarah Palin there? She brags about being a member of the PTS. Or
maybe I'm getting PTS confused with PTA.

>  He wanted to make a reference to some early Buddhist doctrine,
> hesitated, and then muttered something like "mustn't mention the 'h'
> word" before continuing.

Good for Richard! I have long contended that anyone who uses the
'h'-word should be shot (non-violently, of course) and that all sutras
that use that word should be burned (my concerns with global warming
notwithstanding).

Gosh, I didn't realize until just now how much I have in common with
Sarah Palin!

Yours with a wink and a nose crinkle,
Richard Hayes
Department of Palinosophy